November 28, 2010

Real Watercolor and Digital Watercolor


Artists everywhere are abandoning old methods of painting and embracing digital tools for various reasons. Most successful artists have been working in traditional ways before jumping the ship.

Though I don't claim myself to be a master of the traditional watercolor medium, I feel quite confident in acknowledging that I have been doing watercolor pretty good on paper for years. And I will continue painting. Digitally. And otherwise.

The watercolor above began with nothing on my mind or on paper. No pencils were broken in the process. It took just plain old watercolors, sable brushes, and a 4x6 Strathmore watercolor post card. Sort of a miniature painting, one might say. The only annoying thing was the interpolated texture of the paper  thanks to the scanner! Shhh... the boat was added later in Photoshop. But who cares? After all, ars gratia artis!

No comments: