May 26, 2017

More Than a Miracle

The car balanced itself on a fallen tree that bridged a stream below Goucher Boulevard in Towson, MD

What baffled those who were at the accident scene was not how lucky the occupants were to survive the crash without even a scratch, but how did they manage to land the vehicle on that fallen tree! I still wonder how that happened.
February 6, 2014 was a sunny day. The roads were dry and there was no snow or ice anywhere to be seen. Though the posted speed was 35mph, the car was cruising at a steady 25mph. The curve ahead seemed clear and dry and the speedometer dipped to about 20mph as I took the right turn. Suddenly the car started skidding all over the road and I lost control of it. It was too late for me to notice a patch of black ice at the turning! In a split second, the vehicle jumped the curb and sped down a hillock towards a stream 20 feet below. I thought I was going to hit a tree or a rock. Nothing was on the path to break the fall. And it all happened in a jiffy.
As the car stopped abruptly, I came to my senses and found myself still in the seat and without any injury. I sat there dumbfounded. Slowly it dawned on me that I was not alone. I looked at my wife who was still in her seat but equally dumbfounded and without any bodily harm!
The rescue crew from the County Fire Department that arrived soon after had only one word for us: “Someone up there is looking after you!” Thank God for that someone whoever it was.

No comments: